27 October 2009

The Surman Index Online

The Surman Index includes the names, dates, education and employment information for about 32,000 Congregational ministers. It covers the period from the mid-seventeenth century to 1972, and though it focuses on England and Wales, it includes Congregational ministers serving abroad provided they trained or served as ministers in Britain.

Further information and access to the index is at http://surman.english.qmul.ac.uk

Information is extracted from cards held at Dr Williams's Library. You can search or browse by surname and location. Here's an example, the only Northwood found. You can also view an image of the original card which may have more information.

1 comment:

Persephone said...

Thanks so much for this! I found two of my great-great-great-uncles in Wales who are mentioned (frustratingly) in passing in my great-great-uncle's autobiography. I was able to confirm a lot of the information I had.